Sunday 9 August 2015

No 2853, Sunday 09 Aug 2015


ACROSS
1   Experimental version of Bible, different and great (5-5) AVANT-GARDE {AV}{ANT-GARDE*}
6   Projection from type of poker (4) STUD [DD]
9   Rhythm found by trainee endlessly going round enclosure (7) CADENCE {CAD{ENC}Et}
10 Service involves persuasion to some extent (7) VESPERS [T]
12 Creator of forgery caught by altering one fruit tree (13) COUNTERFEITER {C}{ONE+FRUIT+TREE}*
14 Playing Lear, I will show Shakespearian spirit (5) ARIEL* &lit
15 Appear to grasp full amount, ignoring a philosopher (9) ARISTOTLE {ARIS{TOTaL}E}
17 Target provided by colleague, after jibes, having time off (4,5) AUNT SALLY {tAUNT S}{ALLY}
18 Window that is large, with nothing right in front (5) ORIEL {O}{R}{IE}{L}
19 Eminent inspector – smart, upper-class one – lost (13) DISTINGUISHED {DI}{STING}{U}{1}{SHED}
23 Made western violent, ending in shoot-out (7) WROUGHT {W}{ROUGH}{s..uT}
24 Study sign in country (7) DENMARK {DEN}{MARK}
25 Diamonds gleam around enclosed area (4) YARD {YAR}{D}<=
26 Newspaper's ways followed by man dividing opinion (10) BROADSHEET {B{ROADS}{HE}ET}

DOWN
1   Roguish star charismatic in part (4) ARCH [T]
2   Notice, before speech, habit that's hard to break (9) ADDICTION {AD}{DICTION}
3   Huge long stain ruined carpeting (6-7) TONGUE-LASHING*
4   Spy cheers up, receiving information (5) AGENT {A{GEN}T<=}
5   Waterbirds, unknown quantity, full of appeal and variety (9) DIVERSITY {DIVERS}{IT}{Y}
7   Deal with indulgence (5) TREAT [DD]
8   Democrat, terribly sorry, idle and undisciplined (10) DISORDERLY {D}{SORRY+IDLE}*
11 Words of love, unconvincing in wetness, go awry (5,8) SWEET NOTHINGS {THIN} in {WETNESS+GO}*
13 Easily controlled, gripped by craze, not at home (3,3,4) FAR AND AWAY {FA{R AN}D} {AWAY}
15 Reptile having problem climbing into a good area on hill (9) ALLIGATOR {A}{LLI<=}{G}{A}{TOR}
16 Bad informer in dreadful dither (5-4) THIRD-RATE {RAT} in {DITHER}*
20 Clean comb (5) SCOUR [DD]
21 Elected, raised support for republic (5) INDIA {IN}{DIA<=}
22 Singular outfit for piece of satire (4) SKIT {S}{KIT}

GRID

12 comments:

  1. Does anyone solve this on paper? While position of the crossword is OK, the thin, sans-serif type is impossible for quick effortless reading. For people like Raju who collect clippings, the lack of serial number to grid and solution grid makes it difficult to match grid/solution if clippings are jumbled. The collector has to make markings on the clippings every week. How reader-unfriendly these modern design editors can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I wonder they have decided to do away with the numbering? It's neen ages now since I've done it on paper

      Delete
  2. I usually read the clues posted on the Hub and fill in the grid in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is 14A & Lit? If I remember my Shakespeare, Ariel appeared in The Tempest

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it on paper and did not find a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always do it on paper. Yes, the type is a little difficult to read. At least, it is well positioned at the bottom of the last page and squares big enough for easy filling- be thankful for small mercies.
    Glad India is in. A little surprised and double checked, but raised support and democracy made it simple enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I too am disappointed that they have done away with numbering the puzzles. Collecting becomes a problem as well as checking online for answers from pros at this , my favourite blogspot !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I too am disappointed that they have done away with numbering the puzzles. Collecting becomes a problem as well as checking online for answers from pros at this , my favourite blogspot !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I too am disappointed that they have done away with numbering the puzzles. Collecting becomes a problem as well as checking online for answers from pros at this , my favourite blogspot !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I solved this today as usual on paper and strange it may be, I didn't notice the absence of the serial number ! I missed all the sundays over the last six months except for a few when I asked my daughter to get the photcopies. I did miss them a lot and would have loved to get the old clippings if any one has it from Jan end to July end each week. Whenever I used to get the online facility for the daily ones , I used to do them and save them as part of my collections. I have no gripe over the size as that is standard and the best. I do resent intensely the callous attitude of the features editor to the readers' wishes. That's the level of descent consumers are brought down to !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I solved this today as usual on paper and strange it may be, I didn't notice the absence of the serial number ! I missed all the sundays over the last six months except for a few when I asked my daughter to get the photcopies. I did miss them a lot and would have loved to get the old clippings if any one has it from Jan end to July end each week. Whenever I used to get the online facility for the daily ones , I used to do them and save them as part of my collections. I have no gripe over the size as that is standard and the best. I do resent intensely the callous attitude of the features editor to the readers' wishes. That's the level of descent consumers are brought down to !

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com