Friday 9 August 2013

No.10847, Friday 09 Aug 2013, Neyartha

Nice one from Neyartha, only Q and X missing

ACROSS
1 Revolutionary fellow embraces lawyer from a Pennsylvania town (8) WOLFDALE (FELLOW* around DA)
5 Water under it? No one’s upset anymore (6) BRIDGE (CD)
          Reminded me of Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far and The Bridge on the River Kwai
9 Headgear for fools? (6,3) DUNCE'S CAP (CD)
11 It’s the nature of many a beach to be yellowish-red (5) SANDY 2
12 Passage includes three points about an Antarctic island chain (7) HASWELL (HALL around S W E)
14 Short dog’s return to the prow reported by old British PM (7) BALFOUR (LABrador< ~FORE)
15 Ties main soap somehow to being strongly affected (12) IMPASSIONATE (TIES MAIN SOAP)*
17 Hats from dealer disheartened by the celebrity trackers (12) DEERSTALKERS (DEalER STALKERS)
           Singularly noticed on Baker Street!

20 African country provides leather (7) MOROCCO CD
22 A small role for the auditor’s strong post on the division (3,4) BIT PART (~bitt PART)
23 Letters from irate Jason on the HAL combat aircraft (5) TEJAS (T)
24 Support for flying mammals going west to island with lithium and selenium (9) STABILISE (BATS< I LI SE)
26 Rupture in metamorphic rock model replaced by Bond’s boss (6) SCHISM (SCHIST-T+M)
27 Three celestial bodies may not form a triangle in these configurations (8) SYZYGIES (CD)

DOWN
1 Church abandoned switched out spans (6) WIDTHS (SWITcHeD)*
2 Runaway on dock with the ladies adjusted without a vitamin (9) LANDSLIDE (LAND LaDIES*)
3 Vanish with a forging device (3) DIE (2)
4 Situations involving Lisa’s adaptations of products for a particular region (13) LOCALISATIONS (LOCATIONS around LISA)
6 Dislike hosting Polish website with aim to be glorious (11) RESPLENDENT (RESENT around PL END)
7 Wild dog performing with the ball at the wrong place (5) DINGO (DoING+O)
8 Try cocktail bottled in the alcoholic beverage counter with some insect wings (6) ELYTRA (TRY* inside ALE<)
          We had Elytroid in Gridman's puzzle last Friday
10 Free book source? (6,7) PUBLIC LIBRARY (CD)
13 Mice spirits misunderstood by philosophers relying on experience (11) EMPIRICISTS (MICE SPIRITS)*
16 Italian conductor’s strange fascination for the missing musical note (9) TOSCANINI (faSCINATION)*
          Richard's recent ref to The Sound of Music is brought to mind !
18 Metalworkers with levelling wedges upset about the temperature (6) SMITHS (SHIMS< around T)
19 Force suffering princess to leave (6) STRESS (diSTRESS)
21 Indian king provides a horse for the Bali chief in the seventh Islamic month (5) RAJAH (RAJAb+H)
25 Shrub found in Tel Aviv-Yafo (3) IVY (T)

44 comments:

  1. 15A - IMPASSIONATE - a typo

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3D - Vanish with a forging device (3) DIE

    When we all die, do we forge our way ahead? ;--)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free heating sources are available in one of those destinations...

      Delete
    2. The most popular items forged there are pitchforks...

      Delete
    3. There is a popular story that Indians, known for their resourcefulness, are not in demand in nether-land, since they have introduced airconditioning there.

      Delete
    4. I think that joke petains to those from our own 'God's own country'

      Delete
    5. DG 8:47 - I avoided the direct mention. You caught it right.

      Delete
    6. Hillary & Tenzing were welcomed on top of Everest by these resourceful people.

      Delete
    7. Were offered tea, I believe.

      Delete
  3. 22 A small role for the auditor’s strong post on the division (3,4) BIT PART (~ bitt){BIT} {PART}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one from Neyartha, only Q and X missing.

    They are XQsed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renga, the emerging punster.

      Delete
    2. At the end of the queue, headed by Kishore RAU CO(mpany &) US

      Delete
    3. Renga 8:56 - Hope there wouldn't be a ROW over the name.

      Delete
    4. MB is into the symbolic age

      No Rows only tiers

      Delete
  5. 27 Three celestial bodies may not form a triangle in these configurations (8) SYZYGIES (CD)

    They can not even form a simple word, let alone triangle. What a word! Never heard of it and will never be able to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had appeared in TH cw some time ago, in singular - in a Gridman creation, if I am not mistaken.

      Delete
    2. See. I told you. I can not even remember it.

      Delete
    3. You have a deserving memory. I have a deserting memory. Rather, I don't have any memory, but only forgettory. My hard disk is full and contains a lot of bad sectors. No place to remember anything new. It may crash anytime. Will be formatted for reuse in my next Avatar only.

      Delete
  6. Reminded me of Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

    We at Chennai remember only Basin Bridge and Ambattan Bridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed Periyar over Cooum?

      Delete
    2. Oh! It is the St. George Bridge. I never knew it has been rechristened as Periyar Bridge. Had to google to know it. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  7. That bridge is known in Tamil as ambattan vaaraavathi.

    I am intrigued by the term 'vaaraavathi' (bridge) and wondered what its origin is.

    The Tamil dictionary in which it is found is no use in this respect.

    Is it an import from some other language? Anyone know?

    What is it in Malayalam and Telugu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CV Sir,
      In Telugu Vaarathi means a bridge. But your version contains a few letters extra.

      Delete
  8. I guess no one found the five theme entries in this puzzle :) (If you are not in the IT sector, you are excused :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolfdale
      Bridge
      Haswell

      That's all I could make out.

      Delete
    2. C'mon all the IT sector types, let's have the answers (without googling of course)

      Delete
    3. I found it by Googling. I thought Wolfdale and Haswell were unusual place names and so must have been put in by design. Bridge, I was more familiar from my electronic days, but I am not sure whether it is part of Ganesh's theme words...

      Delete
    4. Since the IT guys are enjoying the long weekend. Google for 'Sandy Bridge' and 'Ivy Bridge' to get further details.

      Delete
    5. Aha ! I being old school electronics was familiar only with a diode bridge.

      Delete
  9. Anyone noticed the oblique ref to Also Known As Ntony in the cartoons...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. He is a cut above all other setters. Sets very high standards. By the time I get the hang of him, I'm afraid, I may be on my last legs !!

      Delete
  11. 5A and 8D left unsolved -- well, sort of. I knew that 8D referred to the word/thing to which Gridman introduced me a few days ago, but I was too proud to Google it. If I had at least solved 5A, I might have given it a go. But I still don't get the anno. (especially the second part). Please educate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try = Anagram fodder
      cocktail = Anagram indicator
      bottled in = Encapsulation indicator
      the alcoholic beverage = ALE
      counter = Reversal indicator
      with some
      insect wings = Definition = {EL{TRY*}A<-} = ELYTRA

      Delete
  12. One of the few words I solved!

    'Much water has flown under the bridge' is the saying, when it is a thing of the distant past. Hence CD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ____ and no one noticed those 6 down with brilliant long words? Today's crossie was a joy for the 15across. i had to wear the 9across for 8down, 14 & 27across !! Humbled myself and my ego flew out of the window ---POOOOF !!!

    So much to learn in the Brahmanda of crosswords !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry, Colonel, I should have been clearer with my query. I meant 5A - BRIDGE.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com