Wednesday 4 July 2012

No 10506, Wednesday 04 Jul 12, Arden

ACROSS
9   - A stripper, for example has a professional voice (7) - ACETONE {ACE}{TONE}
10 - A girl model is fat (7) - ADIPOSE {A}{DI}{POSE}
11 - “Happy to get rid of husband”, she tweeted (7) - TRILLED ThRILLED
12 - Fight over someone who is no more a student is lubricious (7) - OBSCENE {OB}{SCENE}
13 - Drunk with success, may be (9) - CHAMPAGNE [CD]
15 - Ruffle initial flow over stream (5) - FRILL {F}{RILL}
16 - Not many can be seen as the opposite (7) - ANTONYM*
19 - Not wily, outwardly like a holy man (7) - SAINTLY {S{AI'NT}LY}
20 - Fish hasn’t started to smell bad (5) - TENCH sTENCH
21 - Fences are where dogs go potty (9) - HEDGEROWS*
25 - Scolding at the bar (7) - RAILING [DD]
26 - Keen to run over, raise false alarm (7) - CRYWOLF {CRY}{WOLF<-}. Is this one word?


28 - Bitter for a long time on the ship (7) - GALLEON {GALL}{EON}
29 - The sovereign gets more rattled with each intrusion (7) - EMPEROR {EM{PER}OR*}
DOWN
1   - A half ticket will let in to execute the manoeuvre (6) - TACTIC {T{ACT}ICket}
2   - A country rises to the Queen (6) - REGINA {REGIN}{A}<-
3   - Cry hard before the wise one (4) - HOWL {H}{OWL}
4   - Dosage prepared for the old sailor (3,3) - SEA DOG*
5   - Some nobility with ones in the watering holes (8) - BARONESS {BAR{ONES}S}
6   - Doctor is off, likes to save one in an emergency (4,2,4) - KISS OF LIFE*
7   - Oven cooked menu, perhaps is not what he writes about (8) - NOVELIST {OVEN*}{LIST}
8   - It is a Maoist plan to hold the middlemen, send in the troops again (8) - REDEPLOY {RED}{mEn}{PLOY}
14 - They are heard, funnily, at the very end (5,5) - PUNCH LINES [CD]
16 - Change say, only starts with a trusted friend (5,3) - ALTER EGO {ALTER} {EG}{O}
17 - Bleating about something concrete (8) - TANGIBLE*
18 - Go with amateur climbing any tree (8) - MAHOGANY {MAH<-}{OG<-}{ANY} and I've always been spelling it as 'Mahagony'!!
22 - The law of the French tribe (6) - DECREE {DE}{CREE}
23 - Smells that hide something sinister in the sailor (6) - ODOURS {O{DOUR}S}
24 - Initially started asking for admitting researchers in the expedition (6) - SAFARI {S}{A}{F}{A}{R}{I}
27 - Sterilize over as one makes doggy sounds (4) - YAPS <-




28 comments:

  1. yikes! terribly tough today. dislike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18 - Go with amateur climbing any tree (8) - MAHOGANY {MAH<-}{OG<-}{ANY} and I've always been spelling it as 'Mahagony'!!

    Now that you mention it, I see that I have carelessly entered Mahagony in the newspaper and possibly in the Orkut app.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the risk of inviting Unknown wrath, very entertaining puzzle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add one more !

    Found the going tough today- (H)arden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyable 30 minute puzzle.Synced well with my cycling cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Bhavan's comments. Wonder what Navneeth has to say today.

    And like I mentioned during Arden's last round, I think Arden is gradually raising the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw the late comments from Incognito on yesterday's puzzle.

    I agree with Navneeth, it is not about the simplicity or complexity or unfamiliarity of the words in the grid (or in wordplays for that matter). It is about challenging a solver to get there.

    Forgot mentioning this yesterday, but in most of the clues, I found the surfaces to be implausible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now we can go to a nightclub to see an acetone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was a challenging one today. Acetone was the stand out clue.

    Thanks to Buzzer's crossword the other day, I stumbled on this blog. Wonderful blog ! The standard of Hindu's crossword is now really good. A far cry from the anagram driven ones that I used to come across 10 years or so ago, when I stopped attempting Hindu crossword. I wonder when Hindu upped its standard and what I have missed all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyable puzzle tho I need some fair help from the dictionary and time to solve this.

    12A: Even after looking at col's anno, am not sure if I understood it right:
    Is it that OB == no more && SCENE == fight ?
    If so I did not get the student reference in the clue

    ReplyDelete
  11. RE: INCOGNITO : Yesterday's puzzle was ok because I'm still struggling with the Monday one by Buzzer.I refuse to see the answers. I wonder why?Maybe, Monday blue-flu?
    Incognito- we recognize your right to present simple puzzles -as you say, it is not as though one is deliberately wanting to pull one's good teeth and incur pains. Sadistic pleasure- no- Hedonistic pleasure- yes- after all this is a leisure time pastime. One need not get oneself entangled head under the feet and do yogic trances. We welcome all kinds - simbly nd hardly(sic) and toughies and acrosties--every other conceivable sort- So keep them coming brother.

    If we learnt a new word here or a hard phrase there, well that's a bonus.

    Where will we solvers be without ye compilers ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Col: where do you get those delectable pics from? I'm not a piscophile but you may convert me into one. Tench-chummy yum yum !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a newcomer. I feel happy and proud to see all you wonderful solvers. Thanks for this wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phew! What a mindblower compared to yesterday. I really like Arden's style, makes him one of my favourites in THC. Even his anagrams are so well concealed.

    One could take issue with a couple of clues where the form of speech could be debated (say 20A where Stench would be a noun and not a verb) but I am not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is the wordplay in 20A acceptable?

    The clue part leads to ENCH, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks okay to me. "hasn't started to smell bad' would be tench.

      Delete
    2. Has not started to smell bad is STENCH-S=TENCH.Fish as a subject in the clue is confusing.But to confuse is also part of the game in solving crosswords.

      Delete
    3. Well that's another problem with this particular clue. "..to smell bad" is more like "stink" and not "stench." And I've never seen this word used in a non-nounal way.

      Delete
  16. I am a new entrant to this portal but not to this pastime.Only as a last resort,I will come to this page after exhausting whatever little capabilities of mine.Thanks to my nephew from US,as I did not know that a page like this is maintained on a regular daily basis,until he awakened me when strgugling for a solution,a few days back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sesagiri. I am sure that over time you will start visiting this blog, not so much for the answers but for the friends we make here.

      Delete
  17. Welcome to all the new visitors to my blog. If you'll would like to share your details to be entered in the THCC Members list, link to which is at the top of this page, then do send me an e-mail with whatever details you want displayed there.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com