Sunday 25 March 2012

No 2679, Sunday 25 Mar 12

ACROSS
1   - Guitarist, singer, and actor (4,6) - BASS PLAYER {BASS} {PLAYER}
6   - Miss with something to keep her hands warm (4) - MUFF [DD]
9   - Extra charge made by a key teacher at university (3-2) - ADD-ON {A}{D}{D-ON}
10 - Hotly pursuing filly, run unwisely round foremost of courses (2,4,3) - IN FULL CRY {IN FULL {C}RY*}
12 - Without preparation? Pick a cosmetic (4,5) - COLD CREAM {COLD} {CREAM}
13 - Pound included in bill, for fish (5) - BLEAK {B{L}EAK}
14 - One to decline being cuddled by a vivacious, sexy-looking girl? (1,3,2,3,5) - A BIT OFALL RIGHT {A}{ B{I}{T O}{F ALL} RIGHT}
18 - Opposing union may cause a financial problem (8,6) - NEGATIVE EQUITY {NEGATIVE} {EQUITY}
20 - Commanding Officer taken round state capital (5) - CAIRO {C{AIR}O}
22 - Henley gal adrift in river (9) - ALLEGHENY*
24 - Old boy at meeting with a fixed idea (9) - OBSESSION {OB}{SESSION}
25 - Hunter - gold one - working (5) - ORION {OR}{I}{ON}
26 - Iron uniform (4) - EVEN [DD]
27 - An encumbrance? No more with crew (4,6) - DEAD WEIGHT {DEAD} {W}{EIGHT}
DOWN
1   - Offshoot of British cattle farm (6) - BRANCH {B}{RANCH}
2   - Son's become confused by talk over bike accessory (9) - SADDLEBAG {S}{ADDLE}{BAG}
3   - State of alarm, frightful in satanic spot (5,8) - PANIC STATIONS*
4   - Turn up a hill (5) - ARISE {A}{RISE}
5   - Drop of lager during fine meal cooked at home (2,7) - EN FAMILLE {L+FINE+MEAL}*
7   - Article taken from grubby relative (5) - UNCLE UNCLEan
8   - Being smart, I take off to test opinion (3,1,4) - FLY A KITE {FLY} {I+TAKE}*
11 - See tree ahead of group of trees in picture (8,5) - LABURNUM GROVE {LABURNUM} {GROVE}
15 - I've to appear in FA team in this form of football (4-1-4) - FIVE-A-SIDE {F{I'VE}-A}-{SIDE}
16 - Crowd, carefree mostly, by the arena (9) - GATHERING {GAy}{THE}{RING}
17 - One cadet spinning a yarn (8) - ANECDOTE*
19 - Sound of seal in a small pen? Possibly (6) - CYGNET(~signet)
21 - Children - an important subject (5) - ISSUE [DD]
23 - Ruled in Dublin? Edward? (5) - LINED [T]

4 comments:

  1. After getting 1D, I branched off to looking for names of singers/ actors like Bing Crosby in trying for 1A- never thought of a general bass player.

    Though I got 27A, I could not get the anno.,since I did not get the crew of 8. Thank you Col.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tough for me today. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. 11d reminded me of Thomas Hood's "I remember, I remember":

    ...
    The lilacs where the robin built,
    And where my brother set
    The laburnum on his birthday,--
    The tree is living yet!
    ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Simply Shashi' on Cinemaplus in today's paper made for quite an amusing read :)

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com