Sunday 4 March 2012

No 2676, Sunday 04 Mar 12

ACROSS
1   - Headgear provided by former airline - article that's defaced (6,4) - PANAMA HATS {PAN AM}{A} {tHATS}
6   - Long account given by ambassador (4) - ACHE {AC}{HE}
9   - A warning for an amusing type (7) - CAUTION [DD]
10 - One with Ms West drinking drop of Guinness in picture (7) - IMAGINE {I}{MA{G}{IN}E}
12 - Artist and Mrs distributed useful book (8,6) - TRISTRAM SHANDY {TRISTRAM S*}{HANDY}
14 - Henry and I send message from Canadian port (7) - HALIFAX {HAL}{I}{FAX}
15 - Very difficult hill she negotiated (7) - HELLISH*
16 - A symphony, perhaps, from Mozart for me (3,4) - ART FORM [T]
19 - Chief military commander gripping butt of ancient weapon (7) - SHOTGUN {SHO{T}GUN}
21 - Make a great effort to remember snack bar senior used (4,4,6) - RACK ONES BRAINS*
23 - Lake trip abroad taken by copper and guilty party (7) - CULPRIT {CU}{L}{TRIP*}
24 - I had contracted to enter competition - that's clear (7) - EVIDENT {EV{I'D}ENT}
25 - Song about daughter becoming a woman (4) - LADY {LA{D}Y}
26 - Criminal in Merseyside port, German pocketing grand (10) - BOOTLEGGER {BOOTLE}{G{G}ER}
DOWN
1   - Best option (4) - PICK [DD]
2   - Gear position Renault altered (7) - NEUTRAL*
3   - Something to eat for the bridesmaids (5,2,6) - MAIDS OF HONOUR [DD]
4   - Rock guitarist casting spell across two US states (7) - HENDRIX {HE{ND}{RI}X}
5   - Great victory for former car manufacturer (7) - TRIUMPH [DD]
7   - Church, one against providing wine (7) - CHIANTI {CH}{I}{ANTI}
8   - All in Newgate, very thin guys (10) - EVERYTHING [T]
11 - Immense enjoyment in heat of Malawi resort close to Blantyre (1,5,2,1,4) - A WHALE OF A TIME {HEAT+OF+MALAWI+E}*
13 - Showbiz chat I later reviewed (10) - THEATRICAL*
17 - Took on equipment heading for Dubai (7) - TACKLED {TACKLE}{D}
18 - Virtuoso from Rome sat awkwardly (7) - MAESTRO*
19 - National field (7) - SUBJECT [DD]
20 - Alcoholic drinks and English tonic (7) - GINSENG {GINS}{ENG}
22 - Prison in northern part of Scottish city (4) - STIR STIRling

5 comments:

  1. Doesn't 22d ring a bell? Recently a couple of clues in THC had glanced at only part of word breakups. So is the device OK? Some commenters here were unhappy about it, weren't they?

    I too am surprised to note this but I think that in UK crosswords in book collections (not mainstream newspapers) I have come across similar clues.

    But do you think it's lazy way of clueing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a little different since it does indicate the first half of a city.

      Don't get me wrong. I had no problem with the earlier clues you mentioned, just that this is a little different.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, CV sir, for that marvellous architectural splendour house of Crosswords. Makes me feel like a dot, looking from the sky, as we all mortals are. All my life, I had lived in apartments and now I'm enjoying life in a Villa within a gated complex, constsntly getting reminded by my soul mate as to how she hates living anywhere at ground level, what with all moths, vermin and creepy crawlies making occasional visits only to be exterminated by IT. Eeeks, am I having a phobia against reptilian cratures like Lizards, and chameleons? It is a nightmare having to open the main door of the house at nights without one of them preceding me and encroaching into my doorstep,minatorily, to her great amusement at my childhood phobia.
    As for crossword collectibles, will that architect give me a miniature of that edifice?

    Recently I acquired a whole set of cups, mugs , coasters, icepail, etc from my daughter's would-be M-I-L in New York. I'd love to post the pictures here. Col: OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not possible to post pictures in the comments section, you can only provide links.

      Delete
  3. A smooth sailing today. I liked TRISTRAM SHANDY and CAUTION and HALIFAX in particular. Had a 11down doing this at late hours 2345. Didn't have to 2Across much.

    Thanks Col. I'll send the pictures to you of my crossword crockery and you can decide.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com