Monday 21 February 2011

No 10083, Monday 21 Feb 11, Sankalak

ACROSS
1   - Public display of bad spirit where trains stop around close of winter (13) - {DEMON}{ST{R}ATION}
10 - Fluent in English and Hindi, say (9) - BILINGUAL [CD]
11 - Check in mineral for a pigment (5) - {O{CH}RE}
12 - Sweet stuff in Himansu Gardens (5) - SUGAR [T]
13 - Song that has, say, ten variations (3,6) - SEA SHANTY*
14 - Inclination to push teacher into a river! (6) - {DE{SIR}E}
16 - Some ice cream, perhaps, for journalistic success (5) - SCOOP [DD]
19 - Healthy food for the French in a gloomy setting (5) - {SA{LA}D}
20 - The iron track of a cat (6) - {FE}{LINE}
25 - He is looking for a job but can't add? That is funny (9) - CAND(I)DAT(E)* My COD
26 - Sign of decay in teeth – first of canines lost (5) - cARIES
27 - Ward off priest returning in the custody of reserve force (5) - {A{VER}T}<-
28 - A salt to abate corn development (9) - CARBONATE*
29 - Chemically treated, like EPNS ware (13) - ELECTROPLATED [CD]
DOWN
2   - Shower praise on one – perhaps one departed (8) - EULOGISE [CD]
3   - He has something to call his (5) - OWNER [CD]
4   - A game to suppress? (6) - SQUASH [DD]
5   - Trust in a cleaner island culture (8) - REL(I)ANCE*
6   - Appetising? For a canine maybe, to an extent (9) - {TOOTH}{SOME}
7   - Operative worker is available if needed (2,4) - {ON} {HAND}
8   - You and me in a part of the garden that is badly treated (6) - {A}{B{US}ED}
9   - Gemstone in a coronet figuring in Holme's work (5) - BERYL [CD]
15 - Down-to-earth articles one fabricated (9) - REALIST(I)C*
17 - A sharp weapon in Britain – one that gives stability (8) - {B{A}{LANCE}R}
18 - To make Tia legit somehow, go to court (8) - LITIGATE*
21 - Direction by queen for a festival (6) - {EAST}{ER}
22 - Fight waste (5) - SCRAP [DD]
23 - Take the cover off Velu in transition (6) - UNVEIL*
24 - Teddy out of bed – face it! (4,2) - {BEAR} {UP}
26 - The subtle fragrance thrown up by balsam or arum (5) - AROMA [T<-]



17 comments:

  1. Another nice one from Sankalak.

    Only grouse, probably printer's error is the placement of the apostrophe in 9d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you noticed it too Kishore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deepak, nice cartoon. Reminded of the impasse faced when one runs out of requisition forms and does not have a requisition form to requisition some requisition forms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should think that the mistake was at the typesetting department with the sub-in-charge nodding...
    I can ask Sankalak this evening.
    Would I write "I love Keat's poems"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the Case of the Blue Carbuncle. What other gems are in Holmes stories?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the Blue Carbuncle in school. I think I first came across the word 'costermonger' in Holmes' stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excited to have completed today's crossword,more so since I can meet him for real this evening.Had a little trouble since I filled in 'on hire' for 7d.Also had doubts about sea shanty until I saw Col's blog.Toothsome was really enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interview with Neyartha is up on Crossword Unclued

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another neat one from sankalak. Balancer and Beryl eluded me.

    Can any one tell me the anno of 14 a. I got the answer not clear of anno.

    Good day

    Mathu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mathu

    Inclination = Definition = {DE{SIR}E}
    to push = First part of the Insertion indicator
    teacher = SIR
    into = Second part Insertion indicator
    a river = DEE (Name of a River)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tks colonel. I am not aware of a river named DEE.

    Mathu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mathu,
    River DEE appears very often in Crosswords

    ReplyDelete
  13. CV, the other Holmes story I can think of is 'Mazarin Stone'. 'Six Napoleons' had to do with a black pearl. I'm sure this is not the full list -- it's been many years since I read the canon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re: Dee

    The first time I came to know of the river was when my Dad read a story poem to me (then some 12 years old) and my siblings:

    http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/81455-Charles-Mackay-The-Miller-Of-Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. What other gems are in Holmes stories?

    If you ask me, every one of them is a gem. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am away. Otherwise I wouldn't have missed the opportunity of meeting the setter of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mathu, another example in today's Telegraph CW posted in Orkut:

    6D Surround doctor in rising river (5)

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com