Friday 24 December 2010

No 10033, Friday 24 Dec 10, Gridman

My usual crib, too many CD's/DD's for my liking, 30% by my count.
ACROSS
1   - Heard about Frenchmen put in order (7) - {TRI{MM}ED}
5   - Slowly covering a rough house (4-2) - {LE{A}N-TO}
9   - For breather one gets this garment (5) - {LUNG}{I}
10 - Question legislature about farm building (4,5) - {PUMP} {HOUSE}
11 - VIP number put on hold (7) - {NO}{TABLE}
12 - Superintend deliveries to bishopric (7) - {OVER}{SEE}
13 - Shoot young fellow? (5) - SPRIG [DD]
14 - He may create sparks while working (3,6) - ARC WELDER [CD]
16 - Broke the budget on special hospital department (9) - {OVER}{SP}{ENT}
19 - Betel to the Spanish advisory group (5) - {PAN}{EL}
21 - A brutal redraft of a list (7) - TABULAR*
23 - Dog on common heather in game (7) - {CUR}{LING}

24 - Protest noisily? (5,1,3) - RAISE A CRY [CD]
25 - A daughter at joint limitlessly for this special purpose (2,3) - {A}{D} {HOCk}
26 - One seeing red? (6) - DEBTOR [CD]
27 - Collier and a student get a kind of water (7) - {MINER}{A}{L}
DOWN
1   - The gifted will want to fall in their eye (6-8) - TALENT-SPOTTERS [CD] could be TALENT SCOUTERS [CD] also


2   - One who has a burning desire? (7) - IGNITER [CD]
3   - One that a man of letters carries (7) - MAILBAG [CD]
4   - Run down, Congress leader getting into repeated scrapes (9) - {DEPRE{C}ATE*}
5   - West Indies dance in neglect (5) - LIMBO [DD]
6   - Have ice concoctions to finish (7) - ACHIEVE*
7   - Fiduciary arrangement said to be tied up (7) - TRUSSED(~trust)
8   - The sort of forecasts that may bring a hail? (14) - METEOROLOGICAL [CD]
15 - Lac my acts generated brings disaster (9) - CATACLYSM*
17 - A drop in the current (3,4) - EBB TIDE [CD]
18 - Sailor taking that is new and conspicuous (7) - {SAL{IE}{N}T}
19 - Bold, top-class and new concern (7) - {PERT}{AI}{N}
20 - In no case, hone it here secretly (7) - NEITHER [T]
22 - Miraculous cure by ultimate fakir to happen again (5) - {RECU*}{R}

28 comments:

  1. Hi

    DEPREDATE yesterday and DEPRE(C)ATE* today. Well, the clue was tantalising: ‘...., Congress leader getting into repeated scrapes’ . Almost the headlines for the past few months. PAN-EL was Indi-genius :-)
    A reversal of the idea of 9a: For breathers one gets out of these garments (5) LUNG(-i)S. Dancing the LIMBO wearing PUMPs with a common Frenchman. IGNITER reminded of Stephen King’s Firestarter.
    Looking forward to CV’s take regarding yesterday’s REGARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deepak, your crib is right in time for Nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kishore
    Your wordplay is too good! How come that you are not a published crossword setter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. CV, I cant set down for too long at one place, to be a setter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re the component GARD in yesterday's crossword.
    Deepak read G's mind and answered it sufficiently yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, CV, I repeated it because D expressed some doubt... Always eager to hear it from the stallion's buccal cavity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday's GARD was VJ's discovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. CV 837:
    Devil quoting from the scriptures:
    The gifted will want to fall in their eye (6-8)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Read 'fall' as in 'fallen' angels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "...
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    ...
    I found again in the heart of a friend." (Longfellow)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Often quoted by PGW.

    After a girl tries taking a spoon of icecream to her dainty mouth and does not find it within...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Deepak, I leave on Sunday morn etd 0500. BF in Salem. Per first page of today's TH, onions to be purchased in Dindigul, tho' we dont have to go there. Lemme see if I can get some good pix, tho' no major event expected: last was on 21st. My main interest is more of discussion with some scientists so I can expand my universe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, CV: and also in the handbook for use of chopsticks for beginners:

    1.Pick food from plate/bowl.
    2.Pick food from your lap/napkin.
    3.Repeat step 2 as many times as required to carry to mouth.
    4.Do not pounce on your chopsticks: head and mouth should remain where they were.

    Of course, additional steps and angst is involved if you have to dip into a dip or the common hot water bowl at the centre of the table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kishore,
    I thought you were going to look for the onions somewhere up there!! But you are down to earth!
    Were you able to get any glimpse of the recent meteor showers? It was too cloudy here in Madras.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi everyone.

    Missing all the fun here on account of my present working schedule. I am worried that slowly I might lose interest and even solving skills, whatever that I have.

    Anyway, on the occasion of Christmas, I wish all of you peace and happiness and also a bright and cheerful 2011 in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bangalore had pretty good fog last couple of days. I am wondering if I shall be able to see the tip of my nose in Kodai. Once I had gone to Madikeri in December and to my utter chagrin, found it warmer than Bangalore !

    Thoroughly missing Richard and wishing him, and all our friends all the very best for Natalfest and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Schuchi has listed today her Top 10 Clues for 2010 (link under Crossword Unclued - on the left).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shuchi,
    My typo has added a century to your name! The clues were excellent. I particularly liked the following two:

    One fishes out dude, according to him? (7)

    Lost it (the war, presumably) ... (5,1,6)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had known Ling as a variety of sea-fish. It usage for kinds of heather in 23A today added to my vocabulary. Tx,Gridman

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christmas greetings to everyone.

    For those of you with time and patience to spare, try the FT Christmas crossword.

    http://media.ft.com/cms/58b6b74c-014b-11e0-8846-00144feab49a.pdf

    Challenging but ultimately satisfying. I got to learn quite a bit. It is a prize crossword and the solutions won't be published till Jan 8th.

    PS : Be prepared to pore over dictionaries, reference books et al.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 11 a - brought to my memory - a discussion here sometime ago regarding - A notable Dr was not-able to do the operation as there was no-table.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bhavan, I had a go and got 5 words at first pass, two of them astronomical events :-) Will try tomorrow time permitting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A FAIR try, but a disease and a remedy too appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Found out what the stars are about !

    ReplyDelete
  25. 7A is a variant of either a Spiffytrix or a Cyptonyte clue. Or at least, that's where I first came across the type. And yes, too many CDs today ('One' too many).

    Liked your 0834, Kishore. I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but there is a storm raging on Saturn visible currently from Earth. Perhaps you can look at it while you're in Kodai. Do let us know how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bhavan, thanks for your clarification on yesterday's 15D.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Navneeth, Thanks for the Shani news on Shanivara. I will certainly ask the SIC for giving me a dekko as I usually ask him for whats good to watch. My main intention is to pick up more information to add to my rudimentary knowledge of M theory and the like.

    And yes, if you see today's photo from Deepak, you will note that the 'crib' is now fully populated. :-)

    Bhavan, FT has taken me back a few decades with its theme ...

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com