Friday 29 October 2010

No 9986, Friday 29 Oct 10, Sankalak

ACROSS
1   - But, in grammar, it does not mean that the future will be free of stress! (4,5) - PAST TENSE [CD]
5   - Cousin suffering loss of ring in a part of the ear (5) - INCUSo*
8   - Great start, deserter is free of charge! (6) - {G}{RAT}{IS}
9   - To beg for things is a strange, no-good course (8) - {SCROU(NG)E*}


11 - Sullen physician goes around open university (4) - {D{OU}R}
12 - Vacant and idle (10) - UNOCCUPIED [DD]
14 - Middle-easterner, originally overseas Indian, soldier at heart (5) - {O{MAN}I}
15 - Oranges trampled by wild asses (7) - ONAGERS*
16 - Is it also a variant of “compensations for disappointment”? (7) - SOLATIA*
17 - Abnormal fluid collection here may impede management (5) - EDEMA [T]
19 - Vitamin for treatment of frail bovine lacking energy (10) - RIBOFLAVINe*
20 - Time of fast advanced (4) - LENT [DD]
22 - Heaven is seen in military display (8) - {PARAD{IS}E}
23 - Once a messenger perhaps, now a dirty chap, one troubled (6) - {PIG}{EON*}
24 - College teacher accommodates the old, respected group member (5) - {DO{YE}N}
25 - Such a speech cannot be spontaneous (9) - REHEARSED [CD]
DOWN
1   - Shrine for one worshipped in American state (6) - {P{A}{GOD}A}
2   - France's landmark gift to America (6,2,7) - STATUE OF LIBERTY [CD]
3   - End of jest over false hair: see the joke? (4) - {T}{WIG}
4   - The reference work to be consulted, should the conservative policy need a revamp (12) - {ENCY(C)LOPEDIA*}
5   - Protected against disease? No, kept in ICU tardily, died (10) - {I{NO}CU}{LATE}{D}
6   - Study team deserves to include three points, being mindful of others' feelings (15) - {CON}{SIDE}{RATE{NES}S}
7   - They show how fast you are going to give profound return in a call for help (7) - {S{PEED<-}OS}
10 - Chair cover which is about as smart in a new design (12) - {ANTIMA{CA}SSAR} New word for me. Had to google this.
13 - Picture to the west of which you could find paradise? (4,2,4) - {EAST OF} {EDEN}
16 - Good man with last word on journalist, wearing coloured bands (7) - {ST}{R.I.P}{ED}
18 - Made up for sound quality in plug (6) - {A{TONE}D}
21 - Mineral formed in a cataclysmic action (4) - MICA [T]

27 comments:

  1. Good morning one and all:

    Many awesome clues- SOLATIA, RIBOFLAVIN, INOCULATED, ENCYPLOPEDIA, ANTIMACASSAR (Mr Google came handy), CONSIDERATENESS, STATUE OF LIBERTY... quite a mouthful indeed. A few nice cases of inserted words. All in all, quite an enjoyable session of solving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to cheat on ANTIMACASSAR. Good CW as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice puzzle.

    ANTIMACASSAR was new.

    LENT was tricky. Deceptive surface

    Plug = advert = ad, new for me.

    EAST OF EDEN was clever

    Thought PAST TENSE was too obvious for a cryptic definition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2d was reciprocated by Freedom Fries and Toast !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cartoon for 22a. Reminds me of Jeff Dunham's 'Achmed the dead terrorist'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! Another completed CW today!

    Caveat: After having all the crossings and still being unable to figure out 10D, I cheated using a word search. :( I don't feel too bad about it though, as I doubt that I could have found that word otherwise! :)

    The last few words to fall in were tricky. Took a while to get PIGEON, LENT, ATONED..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Kishore's comment on the Col's 'toon for 22A!!!
    "Stop!!! I keel youu!" That Jeff Dunham is supremely talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faves:
    1A PAST TENSE - Obvious (as VJ said), but funny! I liked it. :)
    16A SOLATIA - New word for me, but it was my first guess in the dict.!
    20A LENT - Clever! I kept thinking of Eid related words for a while. :)

    3D TWIG - Yes! We see the joke! :)
    4D ENCYCLOPEDIA - Easy, but well constructed Anag. Liked it.
    7D SPEEDOS - Really? How fast I'm going? Hmm.. I need to change my trunks before heading to the pool again!
    13D EAST OF EDEN - It's funny... I got it instantly, because I had referenced it yesterday in a wordplay game I was playing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to spill a thought ... given the extra time in hand this morning! :)

    @ Col & CV : I read your interviews on Shuchi's blog yesterday, and it actually helped a lot in completing today's CW. Thanks again for all the good advice! CVsir, I really tried hard not to use a word search, but ANTIMACASSAR had me completely flummoxed!

    Also, my 2c. on the 10D clue: I didn't really like it because despite being an exotic word, it was a mix of a replacement and an anagram. One "might" have had a long shot at solving it if CA was not cloaked in "about"... any comments from the experts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari, did you hear his Jingle Bells spoof Jingle Bombs 0n Iraq ?

    ..
    I got past Checkpoint A,
    But not past Checkpoint B,
    ...

    Ooo, Jingle bombs, jingle bombs mine blew up you see
    Where are all the virgins that Bin Laden promised me
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The true translation in the Koran apparently is not 'virgins', instead it is 'raisins'. Robin Williams makes such fun of this, unfortunately, a bit too impolite for me to say it here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning, pigeon and Lent eluded me, otherwise able to crack the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Kishore 9:11 - Haha... haven't heard that! I thought I'd seen all his shows.. must've missed that one.
    @ Satya 9:21 - RW is a riot of laughter! We just have to ensure that we leave all sense of propriety at the door for his comedy act! It's on Youtube too. He's so animated...he went through a handful of bottles of water in his 1 hour!
    @ Krishnan 9:21 - Hey! Yep, they were couple of the last ones that fell for me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speaking of Jeff Dunham, in one of the episodes, Jeff says to Walter,
    "Do you know by saying what you just did, you offended half the people in the audience!"

    Walter, with his inimitable coolness replies, "Offended half the people? Offended? Well, ... I could drink a full bottle of Metamucil and still wouldn't give a crap!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi all

    Except antimacassar and speedos everything fell in place.

    I could claim it as a complete by my standard.

    Liked most of the clues. What i like about the whole puzzle is once we get two words in a quadrant everything seems to fill up fast.

    Am i becoming a speedo..

    mathu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ayone else also having problems with Google & Orkut or is it my computer playing up?

    ReplyDelete
  17. All OK here at my pad, BSNL. Maybe some local hitch with the server.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No problems with google and orkut. But, I use Mac OS. I don't know about Windows users.

    ReplyDelete
  19. not a member on orkut, but google's fine. Is your laptop acting up again Col? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. May I invite you to read the blog on today's FT crossword:

    http://fifteensquared.net/2010/10/29/financial-times-13529-mudd/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty easy one, today. I didn't bother with 10D. I knew I had no idea of the answer, and I did not want to google it, either. (However, I google or wiki to confirm my suspicions.)

    Rather embarrassingly, I missed CONSIDERATENESS. I had to check the dictionary to see if such a word existed, and I misread the word -- twice! -- as CONSIDERATEDNESS!

    And LENT was the only other word that I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Something to get things going on a sultry day:

    How can you deduct something from six and get nine?

    ReplyDelete
  23. -3 does not count.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is an ad on TV which talks of converting IX into six in a single stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is that so? I have not seen it. I got this from the puzzle forum...

    Ok, lemme replace that with one I created in Feb.2010:

    Pi’s neighbour

    You all are aware that Pi = 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510.... goes on forever....

    Two doors away lives a neighbour, who is another representation of forever, and may represent a promise, for attention forever, by a present day St.Valentine's Day beau/belle to his/her soul-mate. I give below the numerical equivalent.

    3.428571........... goes on forever

    Identify the number

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kishore's number. If that name hasn't caught on, well, it ought to.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com