Saturday 24 October 2009

No 9670, Saturday, 24 Oct 09, Neyartha

Note:Solutions to the starred clue (Which carry no direct definition) are all Indian music producers (see all of them at this link)
ACROSS
1 - Miss Cairns goes mad with egomania (10) - NARCISSISM*
6 - Employed and exploited (4) - USED [DD]
10 - Get out of unsegregated accommodation in jeans (9) - DUNGAREES(-get)*
11 - Encountered vocal Greek character underground (5) - {MET}{RO(~rho)}
12 - Post original copy to the railway employee (7,6) - {STATION} {MASTER}
14 - Characters from the Far East provinces (5) - AREAS [T]
15 - The guileless ones in conversation display moral purity (9) - INNOCENCE(~innocents)
17 - Division doctor meant to accept the returned fee (9) - A{LLOT<-}MENT*
21 - Student taken out by a follower’s heavy shove (5) - (-l+b)BARGE
22 - Ominous antics, strangely holy (13) - SANCTIMONIOUS*
24 - Allow time to frame the note (5) - AG{RE}E
25 - Trade union embraced by emissary of the fashion designer (9) - COU{TU}RIER
26 - Odd squad spotted initially with beer (4) - {S}{U}{D}{S}
27 - Measure of how thick something might be in a pit within the plant (10) - CRE{A}{MINE}SS
DOWN
1 - *Drunk ad-man saw Egyptian god inside (10) - NADASWA{R}AM*
2 - Familiar action of a cyclist needing attention? (4,1,4) - RING A BELL [DD]
3 - Italian boxer with caesium shows signs of stress (7) - {IT}{ALI}{CS}
4 - *Lady’s greeting welcoming North American premiers (7) - {SHE}{H{NA}I}
5 - Maintain support (7) - SUSTAIN [DD] (Addendum - Missed out while typing)
7 - *Rodents turn up to surround the Indian capital (5) - S{I}TAR<- )
8 - *Should change leave us with this? (4) - DHOL(-us)*
9 - Quote Neyartha about a medicine (6) - E{ME}TIC<- )
13 - Weighs again, for instance (10) - {RE}{MEASURES}
16 - Mysterious container with opium extract (9) - NARCOTINE*
18 - Vision that may reveal restricted thinking (6) - TUNNEL [CD]
19 - Tell revolutionary to entertain navy decoy (7) - E{N}TICER<- )
20 - *Volunteers’ doctor in ancient city (Asian capital) (7) - {TA}{MB}{UR}{A}
21 - *Retired army officer repairs binoculars (7) - BANSURI(-col(THAT'S ME))*
22 - *Article used to expel carbon from fish (5) - S(-c+a)AROD
23 - A selection of classes for the young girl (4) - LASS [T]

GRID

14 comments:

  1. 27 A = Creaminess

    Cre+(A)+(Mine)+ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. See you already got there, Colonel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jotter,
    I got that one last, exactly at 8:30 and as I schedule my posts to appear at 8:30 the website beat me to the draw and published the post before I could figure out the question marks which I put in and which you must have seen.
    I must say that you appear to be the first visitor to my Blog each day logging in promptly at 8:30 IST. What's the time in your zone, 8:30 PM?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seem to have missed 5D

    SUSTAIN [DD]

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is 8 PM, Colonel. I live in Los Angeles. I print a copy of the crossword during lunch hour and usually work on it as and when I can. And yes, for the past few weeks, I have been checking your blog promptly at 8 PM and am amazed that you have every single entry posted with anno by that time. Sometimes I get the entry, but I am more interested in the anno. Today, I completely missed the anno for Bansuri and Suds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sandhya,
    I missed that out while typing the entries, have now entered it in the main post

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I like about this blog is the sureness about it appearing at a certain time: whatever the time the Col finishes writing, he schedules it to appear at 8-30 a.m. IST.
    I too among those who see it every day at 8-30 or just secs after that.
    There is one moment the post is not there and another when it is there.
    I often wonder which clock does the blog eye before it comes on at 8-30.
    Anyway when the clock in my systray changes to 8-30 I have the blog.
    I also appreciate Deepak's telling us of any occasional change in the schedule. That is the secret of the success of the Col's blog.
    I believe that the popularity of the Orkut community: The Hindu Crossword Solutions too is because of it being nursed carefully by the owners/moderators and more importantly by certain dedicated members to whom I here offer my sincere thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one took me a long time. I generally resist the temptation to look at the blog until I have finished the CW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Suresh,
    Yes Neyartha's CW's generally need a good deal of concentration but once you get a foothold the rest flows in especially with his Starred CW's which have a theme

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi to any of the followers of this Blog located in Bangalore,
    Come over to the Kingfisher October Fest at Bangalore Palace Grounds (on from 23rd to 25th Oct)in the evenings where I have displayed my 1956 Model FIAT Car, at the sub-themed Autofest, I will be there after 5 in the evening, shall be a pleasure to meet up with anyone
    Regards,
    Col Gopinath

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to meet you Colonel next time I am in Bangalore. All the best for your show

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Colonel, I am in Delhi nowadays, else would have surely come. I'd love to see your car. If you can, please post pictures from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the crossword overall. 22A: (Ominous antics)* = SANCTIMONIOUS is a great find.

    A couple of clues didn't strike me as quite right, such as

    Familiar action of a cyclist needing attention? (4,1,4) RING A BELL [DD]
    'familiar' is an adjective/noun, 'action of a cyclist needing attention' will again lead to a noun. But RING A BELL needs definitions for a verb - 'seem familiar', 'do this to get attention when cycling'...something on those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Colonel

    I will be in Bangalore from the evening of October 25 for three days. But it could be after the deadline to see your Fiat-56 on Palace Grounds. Maybe a visit to your place during any of the following days could afford me a view.

    Eagerly looking forward to meeting you


    Richard

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com