Sunday 19 April 2009

No 2529, Sunday, 19 Apr 09

Not too bad for a Sunday CW, had to google for an answer. Never heard of 2D as well.
ACROSS
1 - Flag officer in the US navy (6) - ENSIGN [DD] Flag officer is Commodore rank and above in the Navy, as such I have shown it as a DD for Flag and Officer separately
4 - Ballet's second week, an excess (4,4) - {S}{W}AN {LAKE}
9 - Chest getting tender after onset of cold (6) - {C}OFFER
10 - Drink in nightspots a party knocked back (4,4) - {CLUB S}{ODA<-}
11 - A series of steps in pool-based exercises (4,5) - PASO DOBLE* Never heard of this dance form
13 - Sign of tooth decay? Canine must be extracted (5) - (-c)ARIES Check your Star Sign at the link
14 - One making plans? Game chap (11) - {DRAUGHTS}{MAN}
18 - A herbicide spy ring applied to field (5,6) - {AGENT} {O}{RANGE} Infamous from the Vietnam War
21 - Winning a crown (5) - {A}{HEAD}
22 - Words associated with a photographer, for example, visiting Cheshire? (3,6) - SAY CHEESE [CD]
24 - Greek warrior in a cell - his undoing? (8) - ACHILLES* Prudes excuse me for the image at the link
25 - March past a row of shops (6) - PARADE [DD]
26 - Guess tie's sorted - game over! (8) - ESTI*{MATE}
27 - Guy almost rented a small cabin (6) - CHA(-p){LET} I always though a Chalet was an affluent persons house more like a palace, never thought of it as a small cabin
DOWN
1 - Get away, carrying diamonds after a stunt (8) - ESCAP{A}{D}E
2 - First to spot a spot of misplaced flattery (4,4) - {S}OFT SOAP*
3 - Accepted going topless is a sin (5) - (-a)GREED
5 - Millions found under table, reportedly collected by funny fictional character (6,5) - WALTER MITTY [CD] Cannot figure out the Anno so I have put it as a CD, I must confess I googled this answer, never heard of him
6 - Renoir ban ridiculous? It requires little thought (2-7) - NO BRAINER*
7 - A university teacher is a handsome young man (6) - A{DON}{IS}
8 - Undergraduate ultimately failing to pass (6) - {E}{LAPSE}
12 - Climber biting piece of confectionery (11) - BITTER{SWEET} Anno for BITTER eludes me
15 - August - run into major competition (5,4) - {GRAND} {SLAM}
16 - Fully at home with squad (2,6) - {IN} {DETAIL}
17 - Forceful tough guys kept in check (8) - VE{HEMEN}NT
19 - Location around a royal residence (6) - P{A}LACE
20 - Wager involving revolutionary jazz musician (6) - BE{CHE}T
23 - Statesman becoming hot under pressure (5) - HEAT{H}

7 comments:

  1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a superb short story which I reread every time I come across it in an anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5d: It's M (millions) under (in the Down slot) ALTER (hom of altar, table) in (collected by being C/c ind) WITTY (funny
    So W(ALTER,M)ITTY

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12: I didn't solve and am not solving this xwd and all my notes on seeing your answers. Too uch of thought bestowed on it is a waste. I think it's simple
    biting = bitter
    We speak of bitter cold as well as of biting cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'Vasi,
    Thanks, but putting Altar and table in the same bracket I feel is a little too obscure though there is nothing wrong in it.
    Regarding your comment yesterday about the Everyman CW, I don't do it there as I wait for it to appear in the Hindu, doing it at such places where it appears gives one too much of a temptation to cheat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your choice of course, but I mentioned it only because you were enquiring about the timelag the other day and so I thought yuu were probably doing it pronto.

    The "cheat" facility is not available for the current crossword! So it's hard work for me! (not that I find it too hard!)

    And as you know I have expressed strong reservations against any electronic aid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had our own Walter Mitty in "Mungeri Lal"....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Col,

    27 - Guy almost rented a small cabin(6)cha{-p}let

    I was throught thinking of HIRE{-D}.

    How does one make out which word is 'endless'?

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com